ABOUT HEIZER | PAUL LLP
We go to work to make a difference. It is passion that drives our work and commits each of our attorneys and specialists to our clients’ objectives. We take the long view that what is good for our clients is also what is good for our community. Our passion is infectious and we find that it is a big reason clients chose our firm over others.
We love practicing law and built a firm that reflects each of our individual strengths and interests. As a result, Heizer | Paul is a diverse firm with a law practice that is creative, efficient and bold. We combined that practice with a strong government affairs division that focuses on innovation, complex public policy, and new ideas for a changing world. We don’t just interpret the law, we help create it.
That is what HP is all about.
Combining the professional expertise of seasoned political attorneys with the sophistication and credibility of dedicated government relations specialists, Heizer | Paul fields a Government Relations and Lobbying Team second to none.
- Lobbying for business interests, trade associations, and nonprofit organizations in the General Assembly, before regulatory agencies, and in city councils and county commissions.
- Tailoring client-focused legislative, regulatory, and communications strategies. aimed at near-term victories and long-term success.
Founded as a Human Resources boutique, Heizer | Paul covers HR needs from hiring to retiring. We assist local governments and private employers of every size and across a wide variety of industries with:
- Employment applications, policies & agreements; executive compensation issues; confidentiality, non-solicitation, non-competition, and trade secrets protection agreements and litigation; reductions in force; severance agreements; unemployment & workers compensation compliance; and internal investigations.
We pride ourselves on our extensive experience serving the legal needs of tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations of every size and shape. Heizer | Paul attorneys represent public charities; private foundations; trade associations and professional societies; political organizations, social welfare organizations, and issue advocacy groups; urban and rural health care providers; land trusts; private and charter schools; community foundations; and many other types of tax-exempt organizations.
Heizer | Paul offers pragmatic, sensible, and cost-effective advice on day-to-day business operations, as well as assistance with significant transactions. We have particular experience working alongside woman- and minority-owned business enterprises, benefit corporations, low profit limited liability companies – so-called “LC3s” – agricultural and other cooperatives, venture philanthropists, social entrepreneurs, and businesses, both large and small, focused on the “triple bottom line” and corporate social responsibility.
Heizer | Paul lawyers assist elected officials, government entities, local, state & federal candidates, political and advocacy organizations, political consulting firms, and both for-profit and nonprofit business interests with:
- Election administration, regulation, and policy formation
- Local, state, and federal campaign finance compliance
- Campaign finance and Ethics Commission complaints
Heizer | Paul assists medical, nursing, dental, and pharmacy providers and groups with:
- Tax-exempt & nonprofit status; corporate formation & governance; real estate leasing, purchases, and sales; litigation, arbitration, and mediation.
- Human resources; physician & executive compensation; medical staff governance & peer review. Legislative and regulatory policy formation & advocacy; government relations & lobbying.
Heizer | Paul draws on a wealth of diverse real estate, land use, and construction experience to assist individuals, businesses, nonprofit organizations, and local governments with:
- Commercial real estate transactions, including leases for retail, warehouse, shopping center, and medical office space, and purchases and sales of both vacant and improved property.
The T|P|L Associations and Professional Societies Practice Team has a wealth of experience working with organizations that represent, advocate for, and set the professional standards of professions and industries. Our work includes:Serving as primary outside counsel to associations and societies representing nurses; dentists; optometrists; assisted living providers; veterinary care providers; attorneys; geologists; financial planners; investment management consultants; environmental health professionals; insurance brokers; auto dealers; veterans; snow sports instructors; realtors; and museums.
Through its team of seasoned litigators, T|P|L represents plaintiffs, defendants, interveners, and amici in state and federal trials and appeals. We also assist individual, business, and public sector clients in arbitrations, mediations, and informal settlement negotiations. We have particular experience in the following areas:
Legal Assistant & Paralegal